Health Care Law
In October, 2013, the former members of the prominent health care boutique law firm of Tsoules, Sweeney, Martin & Orr joined Rhoads & Sinon. The firm opened its new, Philadelphia suburban office in Exton Pennsylvania. This office supports one of the premier healthcare legal practices in Central PA, the Delaware Valley and the entire mid-Atlantic region. Partners Renee Martin, Susan Orr, Ernie Tsoules and Tom Sweeney have been representing healthcare clients for over 25 years. They deliver an unwavering commitment to delivering personal, responsive, cost effective and high quality service. Our new partners join Allen C. Warshaw, formerly the Chief Counsel of the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare and our healthcare practice to create a deep bench of seasoned health care experts prepared to assist a wide array of healthcare clients confronting complex financial, regulatory and other challenges. Our team provides a broad range of legal services in the dynamic and growing field of health law from physician and practice employment contracts to mergers and acquisitions for hospital and health care systems. Our clients include Healthcare Systems and Networks, Providers, Third Party Payors, Continuing Care Facilities and Medical Practices.
Areas of expertise run the gamut. Our partners provide hospitals services in such areas as physician contracting, EMTALA, managed care contract negotiation, reimbursement matters, regulatory compliance and compliance plan development, medical staff relationships and bylaws, and health care financing transactions for a number of community-based hospitals and health systems. We’ve led Medical Practices through mergers, affiliations, joint ventures, dissolutions, and reimbursement matters. We provide ongoing legal representation for general corporate and regulatory issues faced by mental and behavioral health providers. Partners have frequently advised clients about the impact of private inurement/private benefit and excess benefit rules on various physician recruitment, retention and compensation arrangements with non-profit entities.
The firm has had substantial experience in analyzing the impact of federal and state laws governing physician referrals (Stark II, Anti-Kickback Statute and related state laws), including structuring financial arrangements with physicians and restructuring physician joint ventures and other relationships to comply with those laws. Rhoads & Sinon’s health care partners have also had substantial experience in analyzing issues arising under the Medicare and Medicaid fraud and abuse laws, including the False Claims act, and in providing related consultation, advice, and legal structure recommendations.
Health care remains one of the fastest growing and dynamic segments of the American economy. The team at Rhoads & Sinon will maintain a singular focus on the health care industry and a commitment to provide a broad range of legal services to our health care clients.
Our healthcare law practice covers:
- Clinical Integration, Accountable Care Organizations and Pay for Performance
- Group Practice and Professional Entities
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Mental and Behavioral Health - PA Health Choices Program
- Long Term and Post Acute Care
- Medical Practice Transactions
- Hospital Based Physician Arrangements
- HIPAA - Health and Information Privacy Issues
- Quality Care Management, Medical Errors and Patient Safety
- Medical Staff Issues
- Medical Reimbursement
- Tax Exemption
- Physician-Hospital Affiliations
- Joint Ventures, Mergers and Acquisitions
- Stark and Anti-Kickback Laws, Medicare/Medicard Fraud and Abuse
Brochures available for download:
Publications & Alerts
- Renee H. Martin, JD, RN, MSN has been named to the American Health Lawyer's Behavioral Health Task Force
- RHOADS & SINON WELCOMES PREMIER HEALTH CARE LAW PRACTICE
- Medical Record Privacy and Security Requirements Across Health Care Systems
- Legal Developments Relevant to the Members of RCPA at the Department of Public Welfare (and Elsewhere) & Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ("ACA" Updates)