Employment & Labor
Employment & Labor is an integral part of Rhoads & Sinon's practice. Our goal is to provide our clients - in both the private and public sectors - with timely and practical advice they need to comply with state and federal laws governing employment and personnel practices. We counsel our clients as they draft and administer policies on a variety of personnel issues including:
- equal employment opportunity,
- drug and alcohol abuse,
- family and medical leave,
- employee handbooks and applications,
- safety and grievance procedures,
- sexual harassment,
- affirmative action,
- overtime and wage requirements,
- trade secrets,
- covenants-not-to-compete, and
- unemployment compensation.
Staff issues are a complex area of law because they can affect every area of your business. Being accused of discrimination, sexual harassment, safety violations and other issues can impact your brand and your business's reputation. You have spent years developing your business model and word-of-mouth advertising, and taking action promptly or preemptively to avoid wrongful accusations can help you protect your business in the future.
Staff issues can also affect hiring. Knowing you are providing the right response to drug and alcohol abuse issues or the correct employee handbooks and applications for safety and grievance procedures, for example, ensures you can attract the most competitive and talented staff to make your business succeed. Working with a labor attorney in Harrisburg, PA, ensures you have the legal support you need to stay fully compliant.
Unfortunately, Pennsylvania laws surrounding affirmative action, overtime and wage requirements, and employment agreements change regularly and can be quite complicated. You will need to work with a qualified employment law lawyer in Harrisburg, PA, to protect yourself fully and to ensure you have the understanding you need to provide a safe workplace in full compliance with all relevant laws. With Rhoads & Sinon, you can focus on business while our attorneys focus on protecting you.
Rhoads & Sinon has multiple attorneys who work on non-compete agreements, unemployment issues and other issues relevant to employment and staffing. No matter what your concerns or what issues you face, our team can develop a specialized action or defense plan to support you.
In addition, clients frequently ask our counsel in structuring terminations and layoffs so as to minimize the potential for litigation. Unfortunately, even when businesses have legitimate reasons to terminate an employee agreement, employees may allege discrimination or wrongful termination. These cases can be before the courts for months or even years, resulting in costly and time-consuming litigation for businesses. Structuring terminations safely and correctly can help prevent legal disputes and can fully protect your business and remaining staff. Contact Rhoads & Sinon for a consultation to develop a personalized termination or layoff plan to support your business during the next stage of its future.
Employment Law Litigation.
Employment-related lawsuits are a reality for all employers, public and private, with or without union employees. Counseling our clients to achieve their business objectives - while minimizing the threat of litigation - has become the primary goal of our practice. Nevertheless, when our clients are sued, we are ready to provide a vigorous defense. We have established a successful track record in defending our clients in the federal and state courts, as well as administrative agencies. Our employment-law litigation practice includes defending employers against employment discrimination and constitutional claims brought under a variety of statutes:
- Pennsylvania Human Relations Act,
- Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act,
- Americans With Disabilities Act,
- Age Discrimination In Employment Act,
- Family & Medical Leave Act, and
- Fair Labor Standards Act.
In situations where a discrimination claim is made, working with the right legal counsel is an essential component of your future success. If you have been accused of racial discrimination, for example, an employment discrimination lawyer in York, PA, can mount a vigorous defense of you and your business. If you are accused of age discrimination, your lawyer in York, PA, can gather evidence across all your offices and locations to show you have remained committed to fair and honorable hiring and termination practices.
Ultimately, there many reasons why employees are hired or terminated. When employees disagree with management's decision, it is not unusual for a claim of employee discrimination to be made. Working with a lawyer in York, PA, or your business location can help safeguard your current staff and your business's reputation. By vigorously defending yourself, you can continue to look forward to a bright business future and you can ensure that you continue to attract a diverse and talented group of employees.
If you're looking for discrimination attorneys in Chambersburg, PA, contact Rhoads & Sinon for a consultation. Our workplace discrimination lawyers serve York, PA, and central Pennsylvania. In addition to labor attorneys, our staff includes attorneys with diverse focuses, ensuring when you need technical or legal specialized knowledge, our internal team has the resources to support you.
Labor Law Counsel and Litigation. Our labor law practice has also included negotiating collective-bargaining agreements on behalf of employers in the public and private sector, representing management on grievance arbitration and mediation procedures, and helping employers to comply with the prevailing wage statutes.
We represent employers in union organizing campaigns and defending employer's rights in union election and unfair labor practice cases before the National Labor Relations Board and the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board.
At Rhoads & Sinon, our employment lawyers across central Pennsylvania serve clients in Lancaster, York and other major locations. If you need an unemployment attorney to get support as you try to understand the Pennsylvania benefits system for unemployed workers, we have attorneys specializing in benefits. By providing you with attorneys with narrow fields of focus and large teams of attorneys with varied areas of practice, we can provide the robust and defensible legal strategies you need to protect yourself and your finances.
Rhoads & Sinon has been part of central Pennsylvania since 1935, and since then we have become recognized as a resource for government, municipalities, corporations and individuals across the region. Attorneys from other law firm routinely turn to us for support and to recommend their clients to us. In fact, we act as counsel and co-counsel in complex litigation at the request of other law firms. Our attorneys routinely publish in legal journals and act as expert authorities on legal matters. When you need authoritative legal support from talented and skilled attorneys recognized by others in the field, contact Rhoads & Sinon for a consultation
For more information and additional articles, please visit Rhoads & Sinon's Employment & Labor Law Blog.
Publications & Alerts
- August 2016
- LAW360,May 2015
- PABanker - Setpember-October 2013 Issue,December 2013
- March 2013
- January 2013
- October 2012
- July 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- Business Woman,December 2011
- Section 1620 Rights Not Applicable to County Prison Boards: Case Law Update - Commonwealth Court Opinion,November 2011
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,October 10, 2011
- September 2011
- June 28, 2011
- How An Employer Accused Of Unlawfully Terminating An Employee By The General Counsel Of The Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission Can Nevertheless Win Its Case At A Public Hearing Before The Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. (Part 2 of 2),June 2011
- Top 5 Misconceptions About Title III Of The Americans With Disabilities Act That Subject Your Business to ADA Litigation Abuse,April 2011
- How An Employer Accused Of Unlawfully Terminating An Employee By The General Counsel Of The Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission Can Nevertheless Win Its Case At A Public Hearing Before The Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. (Part 1 of 2),March 2011
- December 6, 2010
- NO GOOD DEED EVER GOES UNPUNISHED: FIRING AND GETTING SUED BY AN EMPLOYEE WHOM THE EMPLOYER PATTED ITSELF ON THE BACK FOR HIRING,November 2010
- Central Penn Business Journal
- Rhoads & Sinon and Todd Shill Featured in Employment Law 360 article: "IM Chats Get Cingular Off The Hook For Sex Bias",Employment Law 360
- Rhoads & Sinon attorney Kevin Gold Quoted in Central Penn Business Journal
- Rhoads & Sinon LLP Helps Client Messiah College Defeat Disability Discrimination Claims from Student-Athlete
- Kevin Gold Quoted in Law360
- Amanda Lavis Interviewed on WITF's Smart Talk
- GAME OFF: One Employment & Labor Lawyer and Season Ticket Holder's View of the NHL's Latest Lockout
- Should Employment Screening Processes Include Review of Credit Reports?
- Client Alert: A recent Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling could reshape the field of labor relations in Pennsylvania
- Emerging Employment Law Issues for Banks
- Mortgage Bankers Association's Legal Challenge to DOL Administrative Interpretation Fails
- Employer’s Use of Criminal Background Checks
- Follow Up: ADA Litigation Abuse Under Title III of The Americans With Disabilities Act ("ADA")
- EEOC’s Clarification on the “Reasonable Factors Other Than Age”
- The Effect of Severance Pay on Unemployment Compensation Benefits
- “Unsatisfactory Work Performance” Can Be “Willful Misconduct” Under The Unemployment Compensation Law And Disqualify A Terminated Employee From Receiving Unemployment Compensation Benefits
- Public Sector Supervisors May be Held Individually Liable for FMLA Violations
- Press Release: Rhoads & Sinon Announces Hiring of Claudia M. Williams
- Rhoads & Sinon Partner Todd Shill interviewed by ABC 27 on Social Networking
Seminars & Events
- Rhoads & Sinon to host "Weed Better Talk - What You Need to Know About Pennsylvania's New Medical Marijuana Law"
- Work Force Leaders Forum
- Todd Shill to Present at the Pennsylvania Bankers Association Annual Convention
- Complimentary Seminar Series: Age Discrimination, Retirement and Succession Planning
- Todd Shill to Present at PA Bankers Association Women in Banking Conference
- Complimentary Seminar Series: Employment Law Lessons from the Sports and Entertainment World
- Complimentary Seminar Series: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in the Workplace
- Upcoming FREE Webinar – Risky Business: Navigating the Legal Aspects of Social Media in the Workplace
- Complimentary Seminar Series: Employer Guide to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- Social Media in the Workplace
- COMPLIMENTARY SEMINAR SERIES: A Workplace Without Borders: Common Immigration Issues Faced by Employers
- 114th Annual PML Convention
- HR101: George Costanza and Employment from ADA to Z
- Practical Tips to Avoid A Wage & Hour Claim
- PSATS' 2013 Annual Educational Conference
- PBA Professional Development - Employment Law Update and What to Watch for in 2013 Seminar
- Employment Law Update
- Social Media in the Workplace
- Intellectual Property in the Workplace: Identifying and Protecting Your Hidden Assets
- PSATS 2012 Fall Solicitors Seminar
- Todd Shill to Present at the Hanover Area Management Association Meeting
- How Well Do You U.C.? Tips for Handling Unemployment Compansation Claims in Today's Workplace Seminar
- HRCPA Fall Conference
- Social Media Policies @ Work Conference
- The Grand Strategy for Employers Seminar
- Pennsylvania League of Cities and Muncipalities Annual Convention
- The Escape Artist:Successful Exit Planning
- Legal Issue of Social Media for Public Employers
- Lorman Education Systems Employment Law Update
- Washington County Bar Association Bench Bar - Social Media in Litigation
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute - Social Media in the Workplace: Facebook, Twitter, foursquare & Other Web 2.0 Sites
- Workshop on Social Networking
- Pennsylvania Chamber - E-Discovery Procedures, Collecting Forensic Evidence and Liability for Social Media
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute - Discovery of Social Networking Sites in Employment Litigation
- Rob Tribeck and Cory Iannacone present - Navagating the Shark-Filled Waters of Pennsylvania's Right-to-Know Law
- New HR Practices for a New Era Seminar