Entertainment & Sports
Entertainers, broadcasters and professional athletes face unique legal and business issues for which Rhoads & Sinon has an experienced practice group dedicated to guiding such talent through these complex and highly specialized matters.
We represent a diverse group of both companies and individual clients in the entertainment and sports industries, including national recording artists, screenwriters, independent filmmakers, authors, television and radio personalities and individual professional athletes. We advise and counsel clients on contract drafting, negotiation and enforcement; corporate and transactional matters; licensing and marketing opportunities; protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights; Internet and new media rights; privacy and defamation matters; and litigation and labor and employment matters.
Recent projects we have handled include the formation of corporate entities for engaging in the entertainment and sports fields; acquisition, licensing and protection of intellectual property rights for entities in the film industry; negotiation and enforcement of employment agreements for musicians and radio and television personalities; and litigation to protect and recover Internet domain names for media entities.
We have also represented a variety of sports related clients, including the Major Indoor Soccer League, Preserving the Legacy of Wrestling, and the Jockeys of Penn National Race Course, Inc. This representation includes litigation as well as general regulatory counseling and corporate compliance.
Recently, on behalf of our clients in the recording industry, we have negotiated, drafted, and provided advice in the following areas:
- band operating agreements,
- A&R agreements,
- label-shopping contracts,
- performance agreements,
- management contracts,
- artwork agreements,
- musician release agreements,
- record label contracts, and
- merchandising agreements.
Our representative clients include multi-platinum artists Tantric, Brett Scallions (Fuel, Riders on the Storm, Circus Diablo), and Kevin Miller (Fuel, Fosterchild, Tantric), as well as Top 10 Billboard artists The Badlees and Bret Alexander, and critically acclaimed artists Simone (daughter of legendary jazz singer Nina Simone), Fosterchild and Panacea.
Publications & Alerts
- August 2013
- April 2012
- Fee Agreements in Pennsylvania,June 2011
- Rhoads & Sinon LLP Packages New York Times Best Selling Simon & Schuster Book “Amish Confidential.”
- Todd Shill Interviewed by Sara Bozich
- Widener Law's Entertainment Law Students Blog About Real Issues in Firm Simulation
- Rhoads & Sinon Client Simone records classic "Four Women" for Tyler Perry's 'For Colored Girls'
- Local Law Firm Connected To Hollywood Film Festival