Environmental Law & Natural Resources
The Rhoads & Sinon Environmental Law & Natural Resources practice group is one of our firm's more dynamic and eclectic practice groups. Over the years, the Environmental Law & Natural Resources practice group, which also partners with the firm’s Oil & Gas and Energy, Utility & Telecommunications practice groups, has represented numerous commercial entities, individuals, municipalities and municipal authorities in regards to environmental, energy and natural resource law.
The Environmental Law & Natural Resources practice group is a leader in the field of environmental remediation, having counseled clients, whether developers, manufacturers, facility owners/operators or municipal entities, through the process of the Land Recycling (Act 2) process and helping to secure the liability protection offered by Act 2. We have successfully obtained such protection for numerous clients, including the Susquehanna Area Regional Airport Authority, who purchased and remediated the Harrisburg International Airport and the Capital City Airport. In addition, we have vast experience in counseling clients and negotiating with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) in matters concerning the closure of storage tanks and remedial efforts associated therewith, experience with the Underground Storage Tank Indemnification Fund, and development of contaminated sites for productive reuse.
The Environmental Law & Natural Resources practice group also has experience in waste flow control issues, waste management and landfill permitting, and harms/benefits analysis. We have represented many municipal entities through the landfill permitting process as both public and private entities have sought landfill permits, and we also have been counsel of record for several landmark flow control cases, as local municipalities have sought to control the ultimate disposal location of generated waste.
Our representation is diverse and includes counseling public and private organizations and companies on regulatory compliance and permitting issues, as well as litigation. We have successfully litigated numerous issues of first impression before both state and federal courts, and before the Environmental Hearing Board, and have represented clients in property value diminution and remediation matters before various courts.
In addition, although the Environmental Law & Natural Resources practice group has achieved success on behalf of its clients in many high-profile cases before, federal, state, local and administrative bodies, we pride ourselves in our ability to work cooperatively with the DEP and EPA or negotiate with others so as to resolve environmental issues in a cost-effective and responsible manner and thereby minimize litigation.
We have extensive experience in virtually all environmental areas, including:
- sewage collection, conveyance and treatment,
- NPDES permitting and Chesapeake Bay Nutrient Reduction,
- water allocation and safe drinking water,
- water pollution control and groundwater remediation,
- landfill permitting/harms-benefit analysis,
- county solid waste management plans,
- solid waste recycling, characterization and disposal,
- site remediation and brownfields development,
- mining, and oil and gas (together with the Energy, Utility & Telecommumications practice group),
- environmental due diligence,
- storage tank regulation,
- CERCLA (Superfund) cost recovery, contribution and enforcement litigation,
- air pollution control,
- regulatory compliance counseling for all areas on environmental law,
- bankruptcy issues, and
- toxic torts including toxic mold.
Publications & Alerts
- March 2017
- August 2015
- Legal Intelligencer,September 30, 2013
- January 2013
- Winter 2011,December 2011
- Environmental Update -- DEP Reorganizes to Address Brownfields and Marcellus Shale; New Stormwater General Permit Finalized,September 2011
- August 2011
- May 10, 2011
- Harrisburg Commercial Real Estate ReviewReport,February 2011
- December 6, 2010
- Rhoads & Sinon Environmental Team Scored Another Big Victory
- Paul Bruder appointed by Governor Tom Corbett to Serve 4 Year Term as a Member of the Citizens Advisory Committee to the Chesapeake Bay Executive Council
- Rhoads & Sinon’s Environmental Team Secures Significant Victory In Municipal Stormwater Case
- Client Alert: PENNVEST and DEP Announce Nutrient Credit Trading Auction for Susquehanna and Potomac Watersheds
- Paul Bruder to serve on the PA Department of Environmental Protection Process Subcommittee of the Pennsylvania Cleanup Standards Science Advisory Board
- Client Alert - New Clean and Green Law Signed
- Client Alert - Nutrient Credit Auction Benefits Lycoming County and Farmers
- Rhoads & Sinon's Paul Bruder helps the York County IDA Secure Environmental Liability Protection for Harley-Davidson Site in York
- Recycling Fund Extended